The Stone Cross War Memorial
Saturday May 2nd 2020 was the Centenary of the Dedication of the Stone Cross War Memorial (SCWM), situated in the Churchyard outside the South Door of St. Mary’s Priory Church, Tutbury, Staffs.
Funding was started in December 1918, soon after the WWI Armistice. Despite being situated in the Churchyard, it is a public monument funded by public subscription. It was built in 1919/1920 and Dedicated on Sunday 2nd May 1920, by the Bishop of Stafford to honour and remember the 47 Fallen from the village.
At the time the Memorial was built, houses around the north bank of the River Dover were for practical reasons considered to be part of Tutbury village and the Fallen from that area were therefore honoured on the Tutbury War Memorials.
Subsequently, a Plaque was added to the SCWM n 1948 in memory of the 13 Tutbury men who Fell in WWII.
After major conservation works, it was Rededicated on Friday 1 July 2016 by the Bishop of Stafford.
It was planned to have an exhibition about the Memorial in St. Mary’s Priory Church either side of the anniversary but the Covid-19 rules in place at the time and subsequently mean that this could not happen. It is hoped that we will be able to have the exhibition at a future date.
In the meantime, this small website is dedicated in gratitude to those who Fell in both World Wars and to their memory.
The SCWM is not the only War Memorial in Tutbury. During the 20th Century at least 20 Memorials to those whole Fell and Served in war were created in Tutbury, 18 of which still exist (two are missing). The last page of this website is a list of the 17 War Memorials plus associated objects – a book about the Memorials (A4 size, 70+ pages) will be published later this year. If you would like further details or any information, please fill in the form below.